If you get caught cheating in Persona, It should have a screen that says “YOU ARE A DOUCHEBAG! HOW DARE YOU DECEIVE THESE LOVABLE GIRLS! WE CREATED THEM WITH LOVE AND YOU DEFILE THEM! FUCK YOU! YOURS SINCERELY, ATLUS.” and then your disk explodes.
Well, summer is finally over. It was an overall great summer season, with some dissappointing shows, but some shows I’ll never forget as well. Let’s take a look at my final impressions for the shows I watched.
- For eternity: An absolute classic everyone should watch. These are the shows we’ll still be talking about in ten years. Ex.: Neon Genesis Evangelion, The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya, Puella Magi Madoka Magica
- For history: Great shows with minor flaws that anyone could enjoy. Ex.: Ouran High School Host Club, Lucky Star, Eden Of The East
- For fun: Enjoyable shows that serve as great appetizers or shows with noticeable flaws that are still more than worth your time. Ex. Sounds Of The Sky/So-Ra-No-Wo-To, Working!!
- For fans: Shows that can be enjoyed by fans of the genre, but might seem dull or uninteresting to non-fans. Ex. Fairy Tail, A-Channel
- For the trash bin: Heavily flawed shows that no one should bother with.
Well, that was needlessly complicated? Shall we?
Ikoku Meiro no Croiseé
Final impressions: An adorable slice of 19th century life which lives and breathes joie de vivre and has an actual plot for a change. The interesting contracts between Japanese and Western culture are constantly played out, as well as the more than decent characterization to the delightful backdrop of the Parisian landscape.
- It looks absolutely gorgeous.
- It is considerably adorable without ever becoming cheap or creepy.
- It has actual plot and character development.
- Claude’s attitude towards Yunelacks consistency.
- No resolution on the Claude/Camille front.
Rating: For fun
Final Impressions: A show that is absolutely perfect at being what it is: a mature slice-of-life wonder about the joys of parenting. Characters are beautifully portraited, relationships are realistic and Rin is absolutely adorable. It’s better than Croisée, but less ‘finished’.
- Focuses on both adults and children and masterfully paints the mood of both.
- Realistic, funny character relationships.
- Visually stunning.
- Pre-credits art style isn’t maintained throughout episodes.
- It just ends.
Rating: For history
Final Impressions: An hilariously over-the-top adventure turns into a tense, tightly constructed thriller near the halfway point. Both parts are equally engrossing and together make of the most immersive stories in years, with laughs and tears, and one of the greatest anime protagonists of all time.
- Okarin is one of the greatest anime protagonists of all time.
- Brilliant voice acting.
- Has an impact on all emotions.
- Some characters still feel a bit pointless.
- Plot holes, hoo!
Final rating: For history
Final Impressions: Yes, it’s cute girls doing cute things. But it’s all too aware of that and in that knowledge, Yuru Yuri manages to dish out some of the best jokes of the year. Oh yeah, and there is yuri too, but for the love of Akarin, don’t expect too much on that front.
- Dangerously self-aware and full of great jokes.
- You will remember these characters. Chitose’s yuri-vision never gets old.
- Adorably colourful.
- No plot, no character development, etc.
- Dull first episode.
- We never got to see Akarin’s sister.
Final rating: For fans, even though I’d love to give it a ‘for fun’ as well.
(Will be updated with Hanasaku Iroha when the finale has aired. And Nichijou, if I ever finish it.)
My favorite imoutos, even if some of them are not necessarily imoutos~
- Mom: *English* I can prevent all of your wishes.
- Me: You mean 'grant your wishes'.
- Mom: No, prevent... as in take care of a problem before you can wish for it to be solved.
TALK TO ME.
Poet and Father of the Italian language, he journeyed trough hell, purgatory and heaven, looking for his lost love Beatrice and fueled by his creativity and wisdom.
I chose him as my Persona because of our common interest in mythology and language, as well as peferring creativity over brute force, occasional weakness and desire to be loved. Or something.
The Moon Arcana is associated with creativity, inspiration, dreams, madness, illusions, fear, fantasy, the subconscious and trickery.
I associated Dante with the Moon because of his creativty and the nature of his Diving Comedy, a subconscious journey trough Hell, Purgatory and Heaven filled with fantasy. During his journey, Dante is inspired by both his creative muse Vergil and his romantic muse Beatrice. During his journey (especially in hell), Dante is often overpowered by fear of the many horrors he has to witness.
Who is your Persona?
- Kanako’s older sister is the original writer of Maschera.
- ClariS make a cameo… by getting their panties shoved in Kyousuke’s face. (I am not even kidding)
- Kirino harrasses Tamaki and Hinata (FUCK YOU FUSHIMI)
- Saori’s older sister is named Kaori and is apparently a lot like Kirino.
- Kirino and Kyousuke cosplay as bride and groom (Ha. Ha. Ha) for some stupid reason.
- I have lost all faith in humanity.
The original ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion, focused on what the true focus of the show was: Shinji. We didn’t need to know exactly what Instrumentality was, only that it was bad, it happened and drove Shinji insane. Yet in the end, optimism still reigned victorious. A new beginning for everyone proved the way out of this misery.
Yet still, some people weren’t satisfied. So as a response to all the hate mail he received, Hideaki Anno made a new ending. Were people satisfied? No. Was Anno satisfied? Even less. Was I satisfied? Negative.
The first half is Anno trying to stuff as much messed up shit he couldn’t stuff in the show for good reason into a movie which plot is a mere excuse to stuff all that shit in 45 minutes. The second part is an interpretative, bullshit psychedelic music video, which sets Anno’s interpretation of the end of the world to the sounds of the worst music ever and everyone screaming. Unlike the original ending, it makes us beg for answers and doesn’t deliver them. But it doesn’t ask questions either. It’s entirely pointless. The ending reveals some potential, if it weren’t for me not giving three flying shits about the plot anymore. The entire movie is simply Anno taking a shit on an audience that wasn’t satisfied with the ending Evangelion needed, deserved and got: the original ending. So he made this. Enjoy your piece of shit, psycho horror grimdark depress ending, whiners.
I give the original series nine congratulations out of ten.
I give this crystallized Unit 01 turd two Rei breasts out of ten, for effort.